3 Reasons You Should Be Having More Sex, According To Science
Sex is great, and even science agrees. Whether you’re looking for a workout or a way to appear younger, look no further than getting your rocks off.
Orgasms increase blood flow to all parts of the brain, and researchers say they’re better mental exercise than a crossword.
Sex releases DHEA, a natural steroid that keeps you looking young.
Studies have found that couples who have sex at least three times a week look more than 10 years younger than those who do not.
According to Dr Jennie Leslie, sex can be used to relieve period symptoms. Muscle contractions that occur during climax relieve tension in the muscles of the uterus. Meaning lighter, shorter periods.
Researchers at Columbia and Stanford also found that women who have sex at least once a week have more regular and predictable menstrual cycles. 4.
Vaginal stimulation has been found to block chronic back pain, leg pain, and even headaches.
The surge of hormones is also linked to pain relief. “A study conducted at the Headache Clinic at Southern Illinois University found that half of female migraine sufferers reported relief after climaxing,” reports Women’s Health Magazine. 5.
Studies have determined that regular sex is good for your skin.
Dr. Elizabeth Tanzi, co-director of the Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery in Washington, DC, toldLifestyle Mirror that “Regular sex increases blood flow and decreases stress hormones in the body, and those stress hormones wreak havoc on the skin.”
Dr Debby Herbenick found that morning sex boosts your mood and immune system for the rest of the day – better than a cup of coffee ever would.
People who regularly have penile-vaginal intercourse have lower blood pressure than those who do not.
Oxytocin, the hormone responsible for creating feelings of love, is elevated in men after sex. With elevated levels of oxytocin, studies have shown that men are less likely to want to stray from their partners.
So, sex literally drives men to be more committed to a relationship.
The more a man ejaculates, the lower his risk of getting prostate cancer.
One study showed that men who have had more than 20 sexual partners in their lifetime are up to 28% less likely to get prostate cancer.
Sex could prevent the common cold.
It boosts the body’s levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A, which can protect you from colds and flu.
Sex is considered moderate exercise and burns four calories per minute for men and three per minute for women.
It’s the equivalent of playing double’s tennis or walking uphill.
One study found that for hours after an orgasm, a woman’s gait changes into one that is taller and more confident than normal.
Men who have sex regularly are 45% less likely to develop life-threatening heart conditions.
Waste thoughts are thoughts that are produced at untimely moments that fill us with worry and anxiety when they appear in our minds. They have no constructive use. Unnecessary and useless thoughts are quick and repetitive which lead you nowhere. Often they refer to things from the past:
* If this hadn’t happened …
* Why did she have to say that to me?
Too many thoughts are about things that we cannot change, or worries about the future:
* What will happen tomorrow?
* How will it happen?
* What will I do if I find myself on my own?
* If I had been there at the time, this disaster would not have happened.
* If I had had this information at the time, I would have won the case.
* When I get the degree, I will be more respected by my superiors.
Your ability to concentrate is weakened by these useless thoughts. If you have a lot of these thoughts you use more energy and time to undertake each task. The origins of negativity also reside in them.
From the time that the past has already passed and the future is yet to come, these kinds of thoughts are not useful and they also weaken your inner strength and exhaust you. It is vital that we learn to avoid this pattern of thinking. In this way you will be more focused and your decision making capacity will improve.
James Randi (born Randall James Hamilton Zwinge; August 7, 1928) is a Canadian-American stage magician and scientific skeptic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi
Randi is author of 10 books, among them Conjuring (1992), a biographical history of noted magicians. The book is subtitled: Being a Definitive History of the Venerable Arts of Sorcery, Prestidigitation, Wizardry, Deception, & Chicanery and of the Mountebanks & Scoundrels Who have Perpetrated these Subterfuges on a Bewildered Public, in short, MAGIC!. Its title page says, “By James Randi, Esq., a contrite rascal once dedicated to these wicked practices but now almost totally reformed.” The book selects the most influential magicians and tells some of their history in the context of strange deaths and careers on the road. This work expanded on Randi’s second book which was called Houdini, His Life and Art
Randi also wrote a children’s book in 1989 titled The Magic World of the Amazing Randi, which introduced children to magic tricks.
He is currently working on A Magician in the Laboratory, which recounts his application of skepticism to science.
-‘An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural’
An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural, 1995, St. Martin’s Press ISBN 0-312-15119-5 OCLC 32167512 (Online Version)
Conjuring, 1992 St. Martin’s Press ISBN 0-312-09771-9
Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns, and Other Delusions, 1980, Prometheus Books, ISBN 0-87975-198-3
Houdini, His Life and Art. Co-authored. Putnam Pub Group (November 1976) ISBN 0-448-12552-8
James Randi: Psychic Investigator, 1991, companion book to the UK Granada TV series. ISBN 1-85283-144-8
Test Your ESP Potential. Dover Publications Inc. (December 31, 1982) ISBN 0-486-24269-2
The Faith Healers, 1987, Prometheus Books, ISBN 0-87975-369-2. (ISBN 0-87975-535-0 1989 edition) (Foreword by Carl Sagan)
The Magic of Uri Geller, 1975, ISBN 0-345-24796-5 (later renamed The Truth About Uri Geller 1982 ISBN 0-87975-199-1)
The Magic World of the Amazing Randi. Adams Media Corporation (September 1989) ISBN 1-55850-982-8
The Mask of Nostradamus: The Prophecies of the World’s Most Famous Seer, 1990, Charles Scribner’s Sons ISBN 0-684-19056-7 or ISBN 0-87975-830-9.
James Randi: Psychic Investigator. 1991, ISBN 1-85283-144-8.
A Magician in the Laboratory. (Forthcoming
Dwarapudi: Located in East Godavari District, This is the holy place of Lord Ayyappa Swamy, well renowned as Andhra sabarimala, Also there is temple of Lord Shiva .
Dwarapudi Ayyappa temple
This is a temple complex where Swami Ayyapa temple and four floor high Eswara temple is located side by side. Popularly known as Sabarimala of Andhra Pradesh this temple is visited by many devotees of nearby places and those who can’t afford to visit Sabarimala in Keral state conclude their Swami Puja here. This Ayyapa Gudi of Dwarapudi is located in East Godavari district.
Like many other temples of this region, this temple also closes at 12 noon and reopens at 4 PM.
Dwarapudi railway station ( code : DWP) is very close to this temple and temple is visible from passing by trains. Dwarapudi is a small station between Rajamundry and Visakhapatnam on Howrah – Chennai main line. At north side Visakhapatnam is 181 KM and towards south Rajamundry is 20 KM. If you are travelling towards Chennai then this temple will be at your left side after two stations from Samalkot Jn. After one station ( Kadiyan ) from Dwarapudi, Rajamundry station will be there. However Express trains have no stoppage here. It is better to get dropped at Rajamundry ( South side, code RJY) and travel 20 KM to reach this temple, or at Samalkot (north side , code: SLO ) , or Annavaram ( north side , station code : ANV ).
Road journey to Dwarapudi
By road this temple is connected by a bypass road to NH 5. This bypass road starts from Katipudi Jn on NH 5. Katipudi is 130 KM from Visakhapatnam on NH 5. From Katipudi after travelling 21 KM on Kakinada road at Pithapuram you need to take a right turn at a four road junction towards Samalkot . At this junction at Pithapuram, towards your left side will be famous Sri Kukkuteswara Swamy temple. From here Samalkot is 12 KM and from Samalkot Dwarapudi temple is 32 KM. Further from Dwarapudi temple the same road will join NH 5 at Dowlaiswaram barrage at Rajahmundry ( 15 KM ). The eastern delta canal will be flowing at your left side upto the Dowlaiswaram barrage where it originates from river Godavari.
This temple is adjoining Ayyappa swamy temple,Dwarapudi & inagurated by Kanchi Kamakoti Peetadhipathi Sri. Jayendra Saraswati Swamy.It Is a marble temple of 4 storeys & 18 shivalingas. Abhishekajalam poured on the main idol will fall on all the other idols automatically.
The human being is psychosomatic by nature – what that means is that our health is deeply influenced by our behavior, thoughts, emotions and social relationships.
Therefore, in order to experience good health, we should care for our life style, our mental, sentimental, emotional and relational world, as well as our communication.
Fear is bad for our health. It manifests itself in the form of anger and promotes coronary diseases. Fear suppressed for a long time ends up producing diseases such as cancer. Apart from cancer and heart attacks, there are other illnesses brought on by fear: addictions, anxiety, arthritis, asthma, irritability, nervous breakdowns, memory loss, gastritis, back pains, baldness, diarrhea, sciatica, crying attacks, alcoholism, constipation, hypertension, cystitis (bladder inflammation), vomiting, palpitations, digestive disorders, ulcers and migraines.
When we get old, our neurons do not die, but rather the connections between them disappear, that is what recent scientific research suggests. The neuronal connections or synapses keep us lively and young. When we have pleasant experiences, such as during meditation or when we are on a holiday or are surrounded by friends or while working in a team, some examples of activities in which we feel happy, the neuronal connections are more fluid. However, the lights go out when we feel fear. It is an emotion that is capable of slowing down and blocking the electrical impulses between the neurons.
With fear we are less creative and we get older more quickly. If we do not want to suffer illnesses (or want our illnesses to get worse) we should learn to manage and overcome fear.
Please involve doing good things that make you happy in life and live a fearless Happy Life.
Have disbursed @Rs.10000 to 67 poor blind people as a non-refundable self-employment assistance. Propose to cover alteast 100 people with a short time.
· 31 poor girls receiving full life sustenance aid under “Save the Girl Child” Project.
· Maintenance Allowance of Rs.1000 per month to 112 poor elders from various parts of Kerala.
· Maintenance Assistance of Rs.2000 per month to a boy with multiple disabilities including blindness. Also provided him with a Wheel Chair and an Audio System.
· Provided artificial limbs to a physically challenged person. Also giving monthly allowance of Rs.2000 per month for sustenance.
· Provided a laptop and a monetary assistance of Rs.10000 for six months to a polio affect young man who cleared his CA final in the year January, 2012.
· With the support of Dr. Peter, Delhi, facilitated FREE heart surgery for two kids from economically disadvantaged class.
· Provided customized Gearless Scooters to two physically challenged persons
· Providing monthly allowance of Rs.5000 per month to a Cancer patient who also lost one of his legs to the disease.
· Facilitated eye replacement of a 3 month old girl child from economically disadvantaged class.
· 52 underprivileged children are receiving Educational Scholarship for the last three eyars and shall continue to receive till they pass out Class XII
FREE Job training in association with RUDSET Institute, Kannur
Eye Camp at Kannur on 29th, December, 2012 in association with Sankara Nethralaya, Coimbatore – over 1000 poor blind people will be attending
Gift of Vision – Vision Restoration Surgeries to 50 Poor Blind Children from each district. The deserving poor children will be identified by a team chaired by the respective District Collectors.
Proposed 100 eye-correction surgeries in Gujarat. First 25 surgeries done on 1st November, 2012 & 25 on 29th December, 2012
· Payments in favour of: “Millennium Charitable Trust”
· For online funds transfer – Current Account No.30829969549 State Bank of India, Thaltej Branch, Ahmedabad – 380059, Gujarat, India
(IFS Code No.sbin0011748 for NEFT online fund transfer from any bank / any branch)
The Shiva Sutras are the cornerstone of Kashmir Shaivism, and contain the firm and powerful ancient roots of some of today’s “new age” concepts of universal creation, power of the mind, and a great and wonderous vision of a wide array of powerful and enlightening teachings. This text is one of the greatest gems of humanity to have survived the waves of time.
1. Universal Consciousness is one’s own nature.
2. Knowing the individual consciousness as one’s own nature and not knowing the Universal Consciousness as one’s own nature, is bondage.
3. Differentiated perception and the field of individual activities are also bondage.
4. This threefold bondage is attributable to and commanded by the Universal Mother while she
remains unknown. Hence the field of ignorance comes into existence through her and not through any other agency.
5. To get rid of this triple bondage, a sudden flash of transcendental consciousness is identical with Bhairava.
6. With deep contemplation on the wheel of energies, the whole differentiated Universe comes to an end.
Jagratsvapna susuptabhede turyabhogasambhavah
7. Such a Yogi, who has accomplished this stage, experiences Turya (transcendental GodConsciousness) in other three states also viz. Jagrat (wakefulness), Svapna (dream) and Susapti (deep sleep).
8. Common knowledge (arising out of differentiation) constitutes Jagrat (wakefulness).
9. Individual differentiated knowledge in the recess of one’s own mind is Svapna (dream).
10. Loss of discrimination in the field of unawareness is Susapti (deep sleep)
11. The one who has digested (assimilated) all these three states in God Consciousness, (Turya) is the Lord of heroes or master of his senses.
12. The Yogic powers here (in this state of being) comprise indescribable astonishment (wonder).
Iccha saktir uma kamari
13. For such a Yogi, any desire is identical with the Supreme Energy of Lord Shiva and hence his desire cannot be checked by any power.
14. For such a Yogi, even his own body becomes an extraneous object or the totality of extraneous objects is (constitute) his own Universal Body.
Hirdaye cittasanighattad drsyasvapadarsanam
15. By establishing one’s mind in the heart-the Universal Consciousness-the whole world of perception appears as one’s own nature.
Suddhatattvasandhanad va apasusaktih
16. Or by establishing uninterrupted awareness of Pure Supreme Nature, the energy of Shiva is experienced.
17. For such a realized soul, any ordinary thought becomes the means of realizing one’s own self.
18. His being in the ecstatic state of Samadhi bestows bliss and happiness to the whole humanity or the totality of enjoyment in the universe constitutes (or comprises) his ecstatic state of Samadhi.
l9. By putting (concentrating) one’s mind on Universal Energy, body internal or external, is formed by his mere will. (Such power is attainable by him in two other states also viz. dream and
20. Such a Yogi is capable of (i) helping humanity unbounded by space and time (ii) casting off his body for specified timeperiods,
and (iii) manifesting his body at various places simultaneously, by remaining in God consciousness.
21. When such a yogi abstains from such powers, he attains lordship over the wheel of Universal Energies through the rise of Pure knowledge.
22. By contemplating on Supreme Ocean, Self experience of the Universal occurs.
1. Here (i.e. in Saktopaya) by intensive awareness the mind of a yogi becomes Mantra.
2. The cause of attaining this Mantra is one’s own effort.
3. The state of totality of knowledge is the secret of Mantra
Garbhe cittavikaso visistavidyasvapnah
4. When a yogi’s mind remains satisfied in cosmic powers, his Samadhi is as good as ordinary dreaming state.
Vidyasamutthane svabhavike khecari sivavastha
5. At the rise of natural (pure) Supreme Knowledge, the State of Shiva, residing in the Eather of God Consciousness, is attained.
6. For such attainment, the means is the Master, the Guru.
7. When the master is pleased, the disciple attains the knowledge of the wheel of Universal Mother.
8. For such attainment a yogi has to offer all his three bodies of wakefulness, dreaming and dreamlessness as oblations into the fire of Universal GodConsciousness.
9. For him the differentiated knowledge is the food he assimilates into undifferentiated knowledge or the undifferentiated knowledge constitutes his food yielding him fullness and peace in his own nature.
10. By out stepping his own nature of true knowledge, at the time of entering into God Consciousness, i.e. Turya, he ill-fatally enters into dreaming state.
1. Here (in Anavaopaya) mind is the nature of individual being.
2. Differentiated knowledge of pain and pleasure is bondage.
Kaladinam tattvanam avivekomaya
3. Ignorance of the essence of Universal Action and Universal Knowledge is illusion-the Maya.
Sarire samharah kalanam
5. So one has to absorb the individuality of principles (Tattvas) in one’s own body successively, i.e., absorb the five elements into five tanmatras, those in turn into the five organs and finally integrate them in the Supreme God Consciousness.
5. A yogi must develop the power of absorbing prana and apana into Susumna-the middle path of Lordship over five elements, of isolating one’s own self from the five elements and residing in the field beyond the five elements.
6. Such powers appear only when the veil of ignorance falls in the way of entering into Pure God Consciousness.
Mohajayad anantabhogat sahajavidyajayah
7. By obtaining victory over such an illusion of cosmic powers and by enjoying the state of limitless being, the Pure and Supreme Knowledge manifests.
8. For him the state of wakefulness (Jagrat) is secondary (beam) of God-Consciousness.
9. For him, the actor, who plays in the drama of Universe, is his own self.
10. Movement attributed in this totality of Cosmic Dance, is nothing other than the Supreme Being.
11. The spectators in this Cosmic Dance, are one’s own cognitive and active organs.
12. Purity and completion of this dance is accomplished by establishing the Supreme Subtle Awareness of intelligence.
13. For him the state of utter freedom exists spontaneously.
Yatha tatra tatha anyatra
14. This kind of freedom obtains for him within and without.
15. Even after such achievement one has to remain aware in contemplating on the seed of Universal Being.
Asanasthah sukham hrade nimajjati
16. So by being established in such state one sinks into the ocean of God Consciousnessjoyously.
17. Such a yogi can create or destroy anything by his Supreme Will.
18. When the Supreme Knowledge is well established in an uninterrupted way, the pangs of recurring births and deaths are avoided for good.
Kavargadisu mahesvaryadyah pasumatarah
19. When the awareness of God Consciousness slackens a bit, the Universal Energy disintegrates into innumerable individual Energies to carry one away from the Kingdom of Universality.
Trisu caturtham tailavadasecyam
20. So the fourth state of Universal Being, i.e., Turya, must be made to permeate the three other states viz. wakefulness, dreaming and dreamlessness.
Magnah svacittena praviset
21. By developing the awareness of one’s own nature, he enters and is lost into the Universal God Consciousness.
22. After being well established in that state he breathes out that state into the Universal activities. Hence the differentiation between the self and the Universe is not recognized.
23. If one proves a failure in infusing the state of self in the Universe, he illfatally remains satisfied in his own internal nature.
24. When a yogi, after developing awareness of GodConsciousness,
Transcend the state of Turya, he enters into Transcendental God-Consciousness.
25. Such a yogi becomes one with Shiva.
26. For him the austerity is nothing else than the normal routine of physical life.
27. And for such a yogi the daily routine talk becomes the recitation of real Mantra.
28. Such a yogi gives as alms to humanity his own knowledge of the self.
29. The yogi, who commands the entire wheel of cognitive and active organs, is the only means of attaining knowledge of Transcendental God-Conscieness.
30. For him the whole Universe is the totality of his own energies.
31. Living in this world of ignorance or remaining in the Transcendental God-Consciousness is the totality of one’s own energies of Consciousness.
Tatpravrttau api anirasah samvetr-bhavat
32. Such a yogi, though apparently engrossed in the daily routine of life, is in no way separated from God-Consciousness.
33. Because such a yogi perceives the states of pain and pleasure only superficially, they, in no case, affect his state of Supreme-Being Consciousness.
34. Hence he is liberated from the states of pain and pleasure and is uniquely established in his own nature.
Mohapratisamhatas tu karmatma
35. On the contrary, the one who feels the absence of God-Consciousness in the states of pain and pleasure, is an individual soul and a victim of recurring births and deaths.
36. The one who stands, aloof from differentiatedness becomes the creator and destroyer of the entire Universe.
37. The energy of creating and destroying the whole Universe comes within the experience of such a yogi just as an ordinary soul possesses the power to create and destroy during his dreaming state.
38. The state of Turya God-Consciousness, that comes into experience in the beginning and at the end of the other three states (viz. Jagrat, Svapana and Susupti), should be infused and
transmitted into these three states by firmly establishing one’s own awareness during these intervals viz. beginning and end thereof.
39. And by developing such process, a yogi must transmit the God Consciousness not only into the three states of individuality but into the entire Universe.
Abhilasat bahirgatih samvahyasya
40. By the slight appearance of individual desire, one is carried far away from the state of God-Consciousness.
Tadarudhapramites tatksayaj ]iivasam Ksayah
41. By firmly establishing one’s own self in the state of Turya, all desires disappear and individuality lost into Universality.
Bhuta-kancuki tada vimukto bhuyah patisamah parah
42. Such a yogi is Liberated-in-Life and as his body still exists, he is called Bhuta-Kancuki, i.e. having his physical body as a mere covering just like an ordinary blanket. Hence he is supreme and one with the Universal Self.
43. After remaining in this state of Universal Transcendental God Consciousness, the functions of inhalation and exhalation automatically take place with the object, that this whole Universe of
action and cognition is united in God-Consciousness.
Nasika-antarmadhya samyamat kimatra savyapasavya sausumnesu
44. When one contemplates on the center of Universal consciousness, what else remains there to be sought in the practice of prana, apana and susumna ?
Bhuyah Syat pratimilanam
45. When a Saiva-yogi is completely established in God-Consciousness, he experiences this state
spontaneously within and without or both.
Every service has its own manual and terms and conditions for use. The legality should be strictly followed.
Our WordPress also has some minimum terms for using the Service of blogging.
Read it here :-
The theory of quantum computing was first introduced by Richard Feynman. A quantum computer exploits the particle-wave duality of matter and energy to perform operations on data. Quantum properties are used to represent data and to manipulate that data. Quantum computers can solve certain problems much faster than traditional computers. The foundation of a quantum computer is the qubit, which has the encoded quantum properties of an atom. This is fundamentally different from a traditional computer, which uses bits to store data.
If quantum computing is ever going to become the standard, we need to develop better ways to control qubits, or quantum bits. Usually, the spin of these itty-bitty quantum computer building blocks is controlled with magnetic fields. Understandably, it’s hard to get this action to take place on a chip such as one would find in a computer. Now, a team of scientists at the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience at Delft University of Technology and Eindhoven University of Technology have come up with a way to manipulate qubits with electrical fields for the first time ever.
Qubits, like standard computer bits, can be in either a “0″ or a “1″ state. In qubits, the state is determined by the direction of the electron’s spin: spinning in one direction indicates a “0″ state while spinning in the other direction denotes the “1″ state. Figuring out how to spin the electrons with electricity rather than static is an important step forward in the development of super-fast quantum computers. But the team’s incredible advances don’t stop there: they also figured out how to embed the spinning qubits into super-tiny semiconductor nanowires, another important development in the race to build the mind-blowingly fast computers of the future.
******************************************************************************************* The bit that makes quantum mechanics useful in computers just happens to be what makes it so weird. It’s also why you can have it both ways, for a little while anyhow. It’s all to do with states of being. In quantum mechanics, particles (like electrons and photons) can exist in one state or another, or in two states at the same time. That means that different things about those particles can be true at once. For example, if you’re trying to work out the flight path of a photon or particular properties of an electron, you can’t – different answers are true at the same time. At least, that is, until you look at it. That’s because when you check to see what the final answer is, you force the particle to pick a definite state and all the other states vanish, never to come back.
Regular computers put things in states too. Everything you’ve got on a computer is made out of bits, which are just zeros and ones. Nothing else – each bit is one or the other. It’s called binary code. A computer combines bits of binary to store things in memory and moves them around to do calculations. This is where the researchers hope to bring the freaky particles of quantum mechanics into play. If a computer could work in a quantum way, then a bit could be a zero and a one at the same time!
That state of being both at the same time is called superposition, and you’d only need to use a small number of particles in superposition to work with a lot of information. Only 1000 particles could store all the numbers from 1 to – well, it won’t fit on this page but it’s about 300 digits long. Manipulate your particles with a few well-placed lasers and hang on tight, because you’re quantum computing my friend.
Faster quantum computers
For a quantum computer to solve important problems that are intractable today, the information carried by many quantum bits, or qubits, needs to be moved around in the processor. With ion qubits, this can be accomplished by physically moving the ions. In the past, moving ions took much longer than the duration of logic operations on the ions. Now these timescales are nearly equivalent. This reduces processing overhead, making it possible to move ions and prepare them for reuse much faster than before.
NIST researchers cooled trapped ions to their lowest quantum energy state of motion and, in separate experiments, transported one and two ions across hundreds of microns in a multi-zone trap. Rapid acceleration excites the ions’ oscillatory motion, which is undesirable, but researchers controlled the deceleration well enough to return the ions to their original quantum state when they came to a stop. A research group from Mainz, Germany, reports similar results.
The secret to the speed and control is custom electronics. NIST researcher Ryan Bowler used fast FPGA (field programmable gate array) technology to program the voltage levels and durations applied to various electrodes in the ion trap. The smooth voltage supply can move the ions very fast while also keeping them from getting too excited.
With advances in precision control, researchers think ions could be transported even more quickly and yet still return to their original quantum states when they stop. Researchers must also continue to work on the many practical challenges, such as suppressing unwanted heating of the ion motion from noisy electric fields in the environment.
The research is supported by the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity, National Security Agency, Office of Naval Research, and Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
next goal is to combine pairs of quantum bits to create a two-qubit logic gate — the basic processing unit of a quantum computer.
Quantum computing has made significant advances in recent years, but issues of cost and complexity have kept it mainly in the realm of research. A newly proposed system from a group of Air Force and Florida Atlantic University researchers isn’t likely to make quantum computing go mainstream, but it could bring the cost of building such systems down because it could use off-the-shelf components. The system would use photons in place of electrons, but photons don’t easily interact with each other and so don’t yield up useful information easily. The traditional fix is to use a tool called an inteferometer to manipulate the photons, but that solution is relatively expensive and the tools themselves are finicky — to say nothing of the fact that it requires “cascades” of them to build a quantum computer that utilizes photons.
The proposed solution is to simply transfer the work done by the inteferometer to a hologram permanently encoded on a pane of “OptiGrate” glass. It would solve the issue of having to calibrate inteferometers, but it would also remove that option entirely as the holograms would be unchangeable on the glass. In other words, the programming would have to be hard-coded. That doesn’t mean that a quantum computer built using this method couldn’t be useful for certain tasks like quantum error correction, but it does mean that it would be difficult to scale as the panes of glass would have to be rather large to carry out anything beyond “low-dimensional quantum computations” — though stacking the holographic plates could help.
The researchers say they are “well along in understanding these devices from a theoretical perspective,” but unfortunately there aren’t any prototypes built yet. Still, the system described here would be “resistant to environmental factors” and less expensive, so hopefully a prototype won’t be too far off…
In life, most people try to avoid entanglement, be it with unsavory characters or alarmingly large balls of twine. In the quantum world, entanglement is a necessary step for the super-fast quantum computers of the future.
According to a study published by Nature today, physicists have successfully entangled 10 billion quantum bits, otherwise known qubits. But the most significant part of the research is where the entanglement happened–in silicon–because, given that most of modern-day computing is forged in the smithy of silicon technology, this means that researchers may have an easier time incorporating quantum computers into our current gadgets.
Quantum entanglement occurs when the quantum state of one particle is linked to the quantum state of another particle, so that you can’t measure one particle without also influencing the other. With this particular study, led by John Morton at the University of Oxford, UK, the researchers aligned the spins of electrons and phosphorus nuclei–that is, the particles were entangled.
“The key to generating entanglement was to first align all the spins by using high magnetic fields and low temperatures,” said Oxford’s Stephanie Simmons, who also worked on the team…. “Once this has been achieved, the spins can be made to interact with each other using carefully timed microwave and radiofrequency pulses in order to create the entanglement, and then prove that it has been made.” [Reuters]
If the current entanglement experiment were a cooking recipe, it would go something like this: First, embed a silicon crystal with 10 billion phosphorous atoms, cool it to close to absolute zero, and then apply a sequence of radio and microwave pulses. These pulses essentially toy with the spins of the phosphorus nuclei and their electrons until the spin of each nucleus matched the spin of one of its electrons. You end up with 10 billion entangled pairs that form a two-qubit system. It’s a major breakthrough, but the researchers aren’t stopping there:
“Creating 10 billion entangled pairs in silicon with high fidelity is an important step forward for us,” said John Morton of Britain’s Oxford University, who led the team…. We now need to deal with the challenge of coupling these pairs together to build a scalable quantum computer in silicon.” [Reuters]
Spinning particles are all well and nice, but what do they have to do with computing? How does a quantum computer actually compute?
To turn this into a silicon quantum computer, the team must create a “huge 2D grid of entanglement”, in which nuclei are entangled with other phosphorus nuclei, as well as electrons, says Morton. To achieve this, electrons will be shuttled through the structure, stitching entangled states together like a thread, he says. By measuring the electron spins in a certain order, computations could be performed. [New Scientist]
Such a quantum computer would run silicon circles around conventional ones. Unlike the device sitting on your desk, quantum computers aren’t limited by the 0′s and 1′s of binary bits. In the weird world of quantum mechanics, particles can exist in more that one state at a time–they can be placed in a “superposition” of several possible states. That means that the qubits in a quantum computer could hold several different values simultaneously.
It has been shown theoretically that by running calculations in parallel, using many quantum states in superposition, a quantum computer could solve problems that would take a classical computer an infinite amount of time, for example, running Shor’s algorithm, which factors large numbers into primes and could be used, for example, to crack the most powerful encryption algorithms on the Internet. [Nature News]
In short, a quantum computer would generate a computing power the likes of which the world has never seen, capable of running–as well as cracking–evermore complex algorithms.
While impressed by the quantum leaps made by this research, scientists are already considering the next hurdles in the quantum computing story.
“It’s nice, impressive work,” says Jeremy O’Brien, a quantum-computing specialist at the University of Bristol, UK. But what is really needed, he says, is the ability to do the additional nanofabrication to put electrodes on the silicon chip to address each individual nucleus and electron pair, a technology that will be needed to get more than two spins entangled together in silicon. “That would be really impressive,” he says. [Nature News]
Even though quantum computers have a ways to go before they wind up in your living room and in your every-day gadgets, thanks to successful silicon entanglement that day is getting closer.
IF A ‘DNA COMPUTER’ DID ALREADY EXIST, THEN WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO REBUILD IT!
Everybody loves gadgets. If the DNA molecule DID function as a super-advanced computer chip, then it would use simple, everyday principles of physics to work.
There would be nothing mysterious or impossible about it.
Ultimately it would be just a little machine, waiting to be analyzed and understood.
If that were the case, then we also should be able to discover the principles of this ‘computer’ and reverse-engineer it… so we can build gadgets and gizmos!
The earliest gadgets would obviously be much, much simpler than the DNA molecule… using only the most basic aspects of the ‘technology.’ Nonetheless they would work on similar principles.
HOW WOULD WE DO IT?
The DNA molecule is built up from single atoms that arrange into a double helix.
The ultimate “proof of concept” for our seemingly radical idea would be for scientists to design a computer circuit — out of nothing more than single atoms!
Now think of a catchy name for it. How about a “quantum computer?”
Courtesy immense To : ScienceDaily (Nov. 22, 2012) Link :http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121122095413.htm
The best method to obtain the most precise information on the inner structure of atoms and molecules is to excite them by means of resonant laser light. Unfortunately, just this laser light (above a certain intensity) can lead to measurable modifications within the atom’s electron shell. Scientists of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) have now shown experimentally how to prevent such “light shifts.” This confirms the advantages of “hyper” Ramsey excitation that had already been predicted theoretically.
This method can make their optical ytterbium atomic clocks even more accurate. Furthermore, “hyper” Ramsey excitation can be helpful in numerous applications where the focus lies on a precise, controlled interaction between atoms and laser light. The results have been published in the current issue of the scientific journal Physical Review Letters.
“Light shift” means that intense laser light modifies the position of the atomic energy levels; the shift depends on the intensity and the wavelength of the laser used. If one is seeking the properties of the atom as an undisturbed quantum object, this shift must be either prevented or corrected. With the new procedure, which has been applied experimentally for the first time at PTB, a sequence of judiciously selected laser pulses used to excite the atom eliminates the disturbing light shift effect.
The basic idea of using pulsed radiation to perform precise measurements goes back to Norman Ramsey, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in physics in 1989 for this finding. With this method, a first laser pulse is shot at the atom, where it starts a resonant excitation. Then the pulsation excited in the electron shell of the atom continues undisturbed “in the dark” until eventually a second laser pulse completes the comparison between the resonance frequency of the atom and the laser frequency. A similar approach is also usual in clock comparisons: two clocks are set to the same time, they are then left to run on and are eventually compared again. The result shows which clock was faster or slower than the other.
The signal of the Ramsey excitation contains, due to the dark phase between the laser pulses, an averaging over the positions of the states of the atom with and without a light shift. In principle, it would be possible to compensate for the light shift by modifying the laser frequency by exactly this quantity (exclusively) during the pulses. This, however, would not bring great improvement from a practical point of view as the precise information concerning the disturbance of the atom should be known to begin with. In 2010, a group of scientists (also with PTB’s participation) suggested a method they called “hyper” Ramsey excitation in order to solve this problem. This theoretical consideration has now been confirmed experimentally for the first time. In the case of “hyper” Ramsey excitation, a third laser pulse of the same intensity and the same frequency, but with an inverted phase, is inserted into the dark phase. This third laser pulse automatically compensates for possible errors which could occur due to misjudgment as regards the size of the light shift and due to small variations in the laser intensity during the light pulses.
Realizing “hyper” Ramsey excitation experimentally succeeded in an atomic transition which allows very slight frequency variations to be detected and, at the same time, exhibits a large light shift, since a high laser intensity is necessary for its excitation. It is an electrical octupole transition in the Yb+ ion which is being investigated as a basis for an optical clock. The experiment confirmed the theoretical predictions concerning the advantages of “hyper” Ramsey excitation and attained a 10,000-fold suppression of the light shift. This opens up the possibility for the optical Yb+ clock to achieve even greater accuracy. This method could also be interesting for other researchers trying to obtain a precisely controlled interaction between atoms and laser light, for instance in the field of quantum information processing.